Monday, June 1, 2015

Thanksgiving in June

I love Thanksgiving.  I love turkey. Anyone who really knows me knows that the smell of turkey roasting in the oven makes me weak in the knees.  I do "practice Thanksgivings" anytime that the grocery store has a turkey or a turkey breast on sale.  But today I didn't have either available to cook.

I've been trying to eat a lot of low glycemic index foods, and turkey is one of the best.  So last week, we bought some boneless turkey breast fillets.  It's a little chilly here this morning (oh yea, only 48 degrees) and to a turkey lover, it is the perfect time for a mock Thanksgiving.  We had some leftover buns and rolls from last week, so I used them to make some stuffing  dressing.  (I guess it's only stuffing if it's cooked in the turkey).  Using celery salt and minced onions makes the dressing a little faster than when I actually dice the onions and celery.  Some times I add an egg or some melted butter, but today I just did the basics - celery salt, minced onions, black pepper and some warm water.  I buttered the crock pot and added the dressing to the pot.  I made it a little wetter than usual to help avoid sticking.  I placed the turkey breast fillets on top of the dressing, added salt and pepper to the top, and turned the crock pot on high for the first hour since I was a little late getting started this morning.  Now I have the rest of the day to decide what to have with it.  I don't really think we need potatoes since the dressing is enough carbs.  Maybe I'll just do some green bean casserole minus the french fried onions.  That's one of our favorite veggies,

So, if you happen to see me later and I look like I'm in a trance, you'll know it's just the glorious smell of that turkey that's cooking.

2 comments:

Alex Bryan said...

Without getting bored I thoroughly enjoy whole reading. Embroidery Fonts Free

Luies Malvia said...

I feel very thankful that I could read that awesome article. Thanks for sharing. Keep posting.
We also provide yahoo customer care services in USA & Canada. Feel free to contact us:
Yahoo Phone Contact