Friday, February 7, 2014

Honesty IS the Best Policy

I am embarrassed to admit that I made a mistake (not my first, I can assure you), but this one could have cost me a sale in the Store.  First a little background.  As it drew close to Christmas, some family members found they needed a quick gift.  I told them to take whatever they needed - wristlets, pot pinchers, whatever.  Unfortunately, I never went back through the boxes to update what was still available.  Christmas came and went, and I completely forgot about it.

Yesterday, I received an order for a wristlet and a water bottle carrier.  I found the water bottle carrier immediately since I had just repacked them.  But the wristlet was MIA.  I searched everywhere, but no luck.  Then I remembered that I had given the family free rein to take what they needed.  I went back through what I had and updated the store, and also re-listed some items that had expired.  I was so afraid of losing that order.  I asked Rod what he thought I should do, and he replied that I had always been one of the most honest people he knew, and that I should just be honest.  I messaged the purchaser and explained the situation.  I told her that if she wanted I could simply refund her money and send her the bottle carrier at no charge as an apology.  When she messaged me back, she said it wasn't a big deal, and she chose another wristlet.  I'm very thankful that she understood.

This situation reinforced my belief that honesty is always the best policy. But, it also taught me that regardless of what's going on around me, I need to keep on my toes about updating the store sight. I promise to do better from now on.

1 comment:

Pat said...

I'm glad it all worked out for you. It is also nice that, in addition to honest people such as yourself, there are also some nice, understanding people like that customer!