Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What's Wrong with My House???

Let me tell you a little about my little house. We live in a modular home purchased in the mid 70's. It's small. . . only 24 x 40 -- it is not a double wide. As young kids, not thinking about how long we'd live in that house, we selected dark panelling for the main part of the house and pecan panelling for the bedrooms. Oh yes, we were being smart, we weren't going to have to paint drywall before we moved in. Well that dark panelling soon became tiresome, and in the late 80's we decided to try to paint. There is no panelling in my little house now!! It's all painted, and I love it. No more dull, dark panelling here!!! I make all my curtains - it's cheaper and I can choose the fabics I like. But there are a few problems. First of all, there's too much gravity in the kitchen/dining area. You can't imagine some of the things that fall off shelves for no apparent reason. People drop things with no explanation, they just fall. So we have decided that there's a serious gravity problem in that area. And the biggest problem is that there are several "black holes" in my little house. What is a "black hole" you ask. Well it's the term that I give to areas where things fall or are thrown and are never seen again!! The first "black hole" is under the kitchen table. When the grandkids drop food, they quickly say Grammy, my (whatever) just fell into the black hole. The only ones who really love the "black hole" under the table are the grandpuppies. And when they come over, that's the first place they hunt for food!!!

But the biggest and probably the worst "black hole" is at the end of my sewing table in the sewing room. When I'm done with a piece of fabric, I just throw it into the sewing black hole. Usually it's folded before it goes there, but lately . . . not so much. Since my sewing room looks like a serious windstorm blew through, I've decided to give it a good cleaning before starting 2009; and, I'm starting with the "black hole". Who knows what I may find there!!!! I've ordered a new sideboard to put into my room, and in moving the furniture around, I'm going to try and eliminate the "black hole". So far my plans are to put magazines on a bottom shelf since they are used so infrequently, and make room for some of the things I use more on shelves that are more accessible. We'll see how that goes, and I'll keep you posted!!! Have a Happy New Year!!

No comments: