Friday, May 1, 2009

End of the Week

Well, here it is, the end of another week and the beginning of a new month. I told you before that we were planning a trip to Disney World for December to celebrate our 35th anniversary. I had planned to make a signature quilt, and had planned to use my embroidery machine to make those blocks. Last Saturday, I got out the machine and all the stuff to go with it. Plugged in a card, and OH NO, it wouldn't read the card. Tried another card -- Same result. I don't know why - maybe I had them close to a magnet, but I didn't think so. So, after steaming, pounding the table and being just plain mad, I started to think of another alternative. DD Mary said that my appliqued character quilts are special, and so why not do an applique block for the characters to sign. I decided to do only head shots, as they would be less complicated. So far I have a list of 44, and hoping to make 48. Block are 6-1/2" square, and I hope to add a border to each block to keep characters from signing into the seam allowance.

Here are the first four blocks that are nearly finished. I'm starting to look for Disney fabrics online to make my borders with. I have Toy Story, Lion King, Pooh and I have a Princess fabric. If you have any Disney FQ's that you would like to swap, let me know. Have a great weekend.

3 comments:

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Hi Linda,

I have used Invisible Thread tons of times and what I have done to make it easier on me is to have a light grey (really light grey) bobbin cotton/silk thread blend and then have your invisible thread through the machine/needle (this serves 2 purposes, one the bobbin will give more stability to the invisible thread while stitching and two, you are still using invisible thread on top through machine and you will not be able to see your stitches - it really, really works!) Hope this helps, Hugs, Mary
Let me know how it comes out!!

Pat said...

This is a REALLY cute idea!!! Your daughter was wise to suggest it as your character appliques ARE wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Oh the Disney quilt is going to be adorable. Your first 4 blocks are so cute and I can't wait to see the rest.