Friday, May 8, 2009

I'm Starting Over

Yes, I've decided to start over with the Disney signature quilt. I'm not happy with what I have so far, so I've been doing a lot of thinking (and the fire department didn't show up to check out the smoke). I've decided to use bleached muslin for the center of all the blocks. By prewashing, it will make the fabric more acceptable of the autographs. And here's what I've decided on for the borders of each block.

What I'm planning is to use a 6-1/2" square of the bleached muslin and use 2-1/2" strip of the colors for the borders. I figure that I can use one color on each side and it may sort of resemble a log cabin type block. This weekend I have bandanas to make for the kennel, but I'm hoping to use the blocks that I made and haven't buttonhole-stitched to practice on. I don't like the black stitching on the other blocks, so I'll try zig zag stitching with invisible thread or light grey. And I'll try all 5 buttonhole stitches that are on my new sewing machine.

We're having our Mother's Day dinner on Saturday evening. Rod is smoking a turkey breast and we're making kicked-up baked beans. Mary is bringing homemade mac and cheese, Kristin is bringing a salad (and she makes some great salads), and the twins are providing desserts. We'll bring my mom out, and have a great family evening. Hope your Mother's Day is a very happy one.

1 comment:

Val said...

Have a wonderful Mother's Day celebration this evening. Your signature quilt is going to be awesome no matter how you end up doing it :-)