Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Week in Review

I guess I'll look back on this past week starting with Saturday. Our Mother's Day celebration was great. The turkey breast that Rod and I smoked was better than expected. We brined it in the frig overnight on Friday, used a dry rub inside the breast, mixed the rub with canola oil and made a paste which went under the skin and on the skin. It seasoned the meat, and made the skin really crispy. We also did some picnic beans using turkey sausage. Mary did two pans of mac and cheese using pioneer woman's recipe (if you haven't checked out Pioneer woman's website, you should do so. Mary uses a lot of her recipes, and all are wonderful. Kris brought a salad with romaine, red pepper, tomato, avocado and sunflower seeds, with a cilantro pesto dressing, and it was great. The twins made a brownie trifle and used sugar free pudding for me!!! Sunday morning Rod cooked me breakfast - a sausage muffin sandwich using the turkey sausage we made from a recipe emailed me by dlife.com. With multi-grain muffins, omega-3 eggs, and fat free cheese, it was truly a healthy alternative to fast food. I got really nice gifts including a lariat, pins and a dining book for disney from Mary's family; a beautiful green glass hummingbird feeder and flowers planted by the twins; a gift certificate to Kristin's fav hair salon (which I look forward to using) from Kris's family, and from Rod, a huge cast iron skillet (for use in cooking only), a new windchime for the deck, and a beautiful lily pond light for the pond (it's solar powered). I loved my Mother's day.

Tuesday Krissy had a softball game. It's her first year, and they only play three innings. There are only three teams, and George's brother's daughter plays on one of them, so lots of times it's really a family thing. Pat got subs (we call them hoagies here in western PA), Mary brought chips and we had a picnic at the ballpark. Krissy struck out the first time up, but got a nice hit each time after that. All my grandkids, and all the grandpuppies were there and we had a great night.

And then there was last night. Mary and Krissy went to the local custard stand for ice cream and placed an order for Rod and I for burgers, fries, onion rings, and milkshakes. Rod met her there on his way home from work, and didn't have to wait long for our food. Mary's family ordered steak salads from a favorite pizza spot to eat after Bubby and Jim got home from Bubby's therapy. We ate our dinner, I got a shower and Rod put my fabric for the Disney quilt in the washer. And we all sat down to watch the Peguins game. It was game 7, and we all wanted them to win but felt there was such a slight chance. Go Pens!!! They won the game with a final score of 6 to 2. And now to the finals.

Today they are calling for strong storms, so I doubt that I'll be cooking outside. I'm thinking maybe some lasagne rolls with prociutto inside. Sound good to you? Have a great rest of the week.

No comments: