Thursday, February 2, 2012

So Far, So Good



Do you remember when I showed you this part of my sewing room and what a mess it was?  Well, I've been working on it a little at a time, and it's finally starting to take shape.  You can see some of my fabric shelves to the left of the buffet.








Here's what it looks like right now.  It still looks a little messy, but the stack of books and the books in the plastic container are ready to be put away.  To the left of the books is a stack of T-shirts ready to be put inside the buffet (I just need to clean out a space)







This, however, is the area that I'm most excited about.  I ordered these fabric bins from Walmart.com, since they are not available in the stores.  I ordered three sets (9 bins) to begin with.  They are all in use now, and I have ordered two more sets, which I had shipped to my local Walmart and will pick up tomorrow night.  I had started to roll my fabric before stuffing neatly putting it into the bins.  After seeing some baskets that others use, I just started flat-folding my fabrics like they were on the shelves and laying them into the bins.  Believe it or not, I was able to put more fabric in each bin.  The pile of fabric on the right side of the middle shelf are extra large pieces that I bought for backings.  I'm thinking that I may buy pants hangers to put them on and hang them in the closet in the sewing room.  I may have one or two old hangers just hanging around somewhere.  Memo to self:  look for those hangers.  While I was cleaning off the buffet top, I found some blocks that I had started for a quilt for Bubby a few years ago.  I didn't care for them and so never finished them.  I quickly tossed them into the trash.  After thinking about how these blocks were nearly done, I decided to take them back out, finish them, and put them together for a quilt for the Saddle Up.  I just hate throwing out anything that might be useful.

While putting the fabric into the bins, I pulled out some nice sized pieces that I haven't used in probably 10 years.  I was going to put them aside for Goodwill.  And then I found some good pieces that weren't folded and were just sort of thrown around.  Aha, said I, the granddaughters have been playing with my fabric again.  I've told you before that Krissy is a budding fashion designer.  Here's one of the outfits she made for Izzy when they were spending some time here.  What I decided to do is to put these fabrics into a special bag for them to use for their fashion design -- with the understanding that they are responsible for cleaning up their mess.  Hopefully, they will leave Grammy's fabric alone then.






I did want to get a dry erase board like I had talked about.  Unlike my friend Nancy who has a BASR (big ass sewing room),  I have a very small sewing room.  I'll call it my TTSR (teeny tiny sewing room)  So, my empty space is very limited.  I also found this on pinterest.com and loved the idea.  It's fabric on cork board.





 By searching online, I found a board on Amazon.com that I thought could serve both purposes.  The dry erase side is also magnetic.  And then there's the cork side.  I think that I can put on my thinking cap and figure out a way that I can make a fabric cover with pockets for this side.  If I ever finish with all that I have planned, I should have a cute and neatly organized TTSR.  So, I guess I should get off here and get busy.

No comments: