Tuesday, November 5, 2013

30 Days of Thankful


November is upon us, and during this month, some of my family and friends like to celebrate 30 days of being thankful.  I am thankful for so much every day of my life; but during this month, I like to concentrate on one specific blessing each day.  It becomes a special month of meditation, gratitude, and soul searching for me, while the rest of the world is crazy preparing for Christmas and leaving Thanksgiving to fall by the wayside. 

In the past, I kept a "Gratitude Journal". It helped me to come through a rough time in my life.  I was unhappy, discontented, and very depressed.  The Gratitude Journal forced me to dwell on the good things in my life, to be thankful for what I had in life, rather than what I didn't have.  As I look around me, I realize that I have been so blessed with a wonderful husband, kind and loving children, sons-in-law who provide well for my daughters and grandchildren, and sweet, loving grandchildren  I was fortunate to have parents and in-laws who lived their wedding vows of "til death do us part", and taught Rod and I to do the same.  I no longer write down my "gratitudes", but each morning when I awake, I first thank God for another day, and then concentrate on the good things I have in my life.  It's my own form of meditation.  During these 30 days, I also try to give back some of the goodness that God has given me.  

And so, as you prepare for the busy holiday season which is approaching, consider observing 30  Days of Thankful.  Give thanks each morning, and perhaps during the month, donate to a local charity, food bank,  Toys for Tots, or send a card or small gift to a person serving our country in the Armed Forces.  It will leave you with a happy heart.

No comments: