Friday, October 17, 2014


I had intended that this post on my blog would be a special one. One filled with photos and reviews.  I have heard so much about the Lancaster Central Market, in Lancaster PA.  Rod and I have planned on visiting this market several times, but something always came up.  Last week, we finally had the opportunity to visit.  We left last Friday at about 3:00 pm and drove to Lancaster. At a rest stop on the Turnpike, we  shared an Auntie Anne's pretzel - my first and it was delicious.  We had such a good time in the car - laughing, listening to music and loving the fall foliage.  We had reserved a one-room suite at a Comfort Inn, and although we had planned on having dinner at a Cracker Barrel restaurant (we had a gift card), we made a quick stop at a Wendy's and took it to our room.

Our room was beautiful, very similar to this photo.  After checking in, we went to our room and enjoyed our gourmet  fast food dinner.  We relaxed and watched some weird TV - one show on a Russian who tried breeding human and apes by artificial insemination.  Hey, it was on the Discovery Network!!  We always sleep in separate beds on trips, just because that way I don't get kicked out of bed.  Comfort Inn beds are generally very comfortable, but when I crawled into bed, I felt like someone had left their knees behind and I was sleeping on them.  I got out of bed and slept sitting on the sofa most of the night.  The next morning, Rod accused me of taking the best bed - his bed wasn't any better than mine.  We got dressed like a couple of old people whose bones were creaking.  Then it was on to the breakfast buffet.

The buffet was amazing.  What we thought were little pancakes were actually egg white patties.  There were sausage patties, lots of bread products, cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, and juices.  The dining area was packed, and the other guests were friendly and pleasant.  We finished eating, checked out, and headed for Central Market.  It was raining, and a not so pleasant day.  When we arrived, we parked in a paid lot, and started to walk around the building to find an entrance that didn't have any steps.  Once inside, I was shocked at how crowded the market was; aisles were narrow, people were rude and pushing, and market items were much more expensive that what we have found at other markets.  We stayed only an hour, I bought some biscotti, some vegetables, and some loose tea.  Rod wasn't feeling well, so we started for home.  The further we drove, the sicker he got.  We were stopping along the turnpike for him to be sick.  Finally he said that he didn't think he could drive home.  I texted the twins, and they agreed to meet us at one of the exits.  Pam drove our car home, and Rod rode in the truck with Pat and was able to lie down in the back seat to sleep.  I was so glad to arrive home.  He finally started feeling better by Sunday evening.  It wasn't quite the weekend I had hoped for.

But on a lighter note, the Turnpike Commission has closed several service plazas along the turnpike, making opportunities for bathroom stops farther apart.  A little birdie told me that on the trip out, one of the twins (who remain nameless, but her name starts with Pa) stopped in a contruction area and used the portajohn that was there.  We are still laughing about that one.

No comments: