Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Almost Time to Play

I have six quilts to finish in the next two weeks.  Four for the Saddle Up, and two for Project Linus.  I am progressing quite well, and think I just may finish on time.  The quilts tops for the Saddle Up are all finished, those 4 quilts are all pinned on the fleece and ready for quilting.  One of the quilts has been quilted and is ready for the binding.  A second one (which is made of panels) is halfway quilted.  The sashing has been quilted with swirls to resemble lassos, and soon I will start on a stipple quilt inside the panels.  I have another panel quilt with I will probably quilt in the same way.  And last, is the applique horse quilt which will probably be quilted in a similar fashion.  I don't usually do bindings by machine (I much prefer to hand sew them); but in this instance, machine sewing is almost necessary.  And then there are the two quilts for Project Linus.  These are part of the Disney project for volunteerism. I have decided to do quilts using Kaye Woods "Six Hour Quilt" pattern.  With this you cut 6" strips and sew them together in a Log Cabin fashion.  I have boxes of fleece scraps, which I will cut to use for the backings, and hopefully can do both in a weekend.  The Saddle Up is the first Saturday in May, and after that I can take a very deep breath.  And then . . . .

IT'S TIME TO PLAY.  I am so anxious to start playing with my AccuQuilt GO cutter.  I'm thinking that I will use the different dies to make blocks and see how they go together.  Then I can make these blocks into hot pads.  One can never have too many hot pads, can one?

Since we've planned a Disney trip for September, I want to make some more blocks for the Disney quilt (which I've done nothing with).  We're going for the Halloween Party, and there will be some new characters, and some of the villians who might be available for autographs.  We're going to be staying at Pop Century which is a value resort.  Last trip we spent a lot of money to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and didn't spend much time there.  So we've decided to spend less on accommodations.  The theme is so impressive.  There are huge Potatoe Head characters, a greatly oversized big wheel, super large Rubik cubes and more.  I'm so looking forward to this experience.

But for now, it's working to get these quilts done.  Bye.

1 comment:

Pat said...

We are hoping for a trip to WDW in the early summer of 2012 with the grandkids....and I think we will use one of the value resorts. We haven't been for years but had stayed at the Contemporary once, the Polynesian once, Carribean Beach Resort once, and Ft. Wilderness (in one of their trailers) and, like you said, we didn't spend much time at the hotel, so we may as well be economical and spend our money on other things. The value resorts, I hear, are very nice, too.