Friday, August 28, 2009

Gloomy Friday

It's a very gloomy Friday here, and raining to boot. I'm by myself since Kris is off work and keeps Izzy; and Jimmy's mom took Kris and Bubby for the afternoon. Our school district returns to classes on Monday, and this time Bubby goes, too. He's starting kindergarten, and I'm so nervous. For those who don't know, Bubby has spina bifida. Shortly after birth, when the doctors operated to insert a shunt into his brain, the head of neurology nicked a blood vessel and the nightmare began. Bubs had a bleed into the brain, which resulted in an aneurysm. The doctors had to clamp off the aneurysm, which kind of mimicked a stroke. And this resulted in a marked weakness of his right side. He has very limited use of his right hand, and walks with a walker.Here you can see him running the bases while playing ball with the Miracle League of Southwestern PA. But, I'm so nervous about his going to school all day. When this little guy came home from the hospital after a stay of 69 days, he had a couple of infections and required IV antibiotics. I learned to administer those with a pump. I learned to catheterize him because he needs to be cathed every four hours. I've been through several seizures with him, and recognized the symptoms when they occurred. And now, after six years, I have to give him up. At least that's how it feels. My days will change so drastically. I'll still have Izzy during the day since Kristin is going back to work on Monday, but it won't be the same. My special boy won't be coming here in the morning. And the day will seem so quiet. I learned today that his bus will drop him off here each afternoon, so I'll still get to spend some time with him every day. I should be happy for small gifts. But you can bet that I'll be praying each day for God to keep him safe and protected from cruelty. He has been so accepting of his disabilities, but others may not realize that he has no control of how he is. He has a wonderful teacher, who is accustomed to working with children with disabilities. She has arranged for each of his fellow students to spend a day as his "buddy". They will assist him with whatever he needs, and in the process get to know him. There is a special chair for him in the classroom so that, if he has a seizure, he won't fall out of his chair, and the entire class will enter and exit the cafeteria using the ramp, so that Bubs doesn't feel "different". And she has acquired a special swing for him to use when on the playground. Our school district has a great reputation for accommodating students with special needs. So, Tuesday morning, say a quick prayer that Bubby has a successful first day of school.

1 comment:

Pat said...

I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. It does sound like your school district is on top of things and being very good about helping the other students learn that a disability is not something of which they should be frightened....so I am sure he will do well and be happy and have many new friends soon.