Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Recipe Wednesday

This morning, bright and early, one of my nieces posted to me on Facebook that she had lost her recipe for Poor Man's Steak.  A few years ago, I put a lot of family recipes into a cookbook that I made and gave to family members.  It was really well received and some have asked me when I'm doing Volume 2.  So I've decided that for the next few months I will do a Recipe Wednesday and post some of my favorite recipes here on my blog.  And thanks to Paula's request, today's recipe will be Poor Man's Steak.  I got this recipe from an Amish Friend, and it's become a family favorite.

Poor Man's Steak
 Ingredients:
2 pounds ground chuck
2 cups cracker crumbs
2 cups milk
2 cans Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 medium onion , finely chopped
pepper to taste

Instructions:







The day before, combine ground chuck, cracker crumbs, milk and onion. Mix well. Shape into two logs and wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate overnight. The next day, slice logs into 1 inch slices. In a skillet, brown slices well on both sides. Remove from skillet and put in baking dish one layer at a time. Spoon cream of mushroom soup over top of this layer and add other layers as needed, ending with mushroom soup. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Note:
I have made this into patties when I was rushed, and then cooked as instructed.  It was just as good.  Hope you enjoy!

No comments: