Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Where is My Old Christmas Feeling???

Yesterday afternoon while talking to daughter Mary, I mentioned that I didn't even feel like Christmas this year.  This morning I repeated that sentiment, and she asked me why I thought that was.  And I started to think about it.  Is it because Rod's out of town?  Is it because I've been under the weather with some serious "crud" in my chest and a cough that doesn't seem to quit?  Is it because there is no tree or decorations up?  Or is it because there is no holiday baking done?   I still can't put my finger on the reason why, but I feel like Homer in the movie "Christmas Comes to Willow Creek".  Homer sat on the water tower for days because there was no Christmas feeling.  And that's me right now.  It's not really a "Bah Humbug" situation, but I'm just not feeling it.

Generally, I'm a very Christmas-y person.  Heavens, I listen to Christmas carols starting in October.  So, Mary told me this morning that she would send me a link to her friend Andi's blog.  She thought it was something I needed to read.  And she was right.  This girl's blog hit the nail right on the head.  And so today, I'm going to concentrate on the "Reason for the Season".  As I prepare the living room for the tree, I'm going to mentally make a list of all my blessings, all the things I have to be thankful for, and what I really need to do before Christmas.  And I'm going to spend a little quiet time just remembering my childhood Christmases.

2 comments:

Pat said...

I went and read that link and then passed it to others...it makes SO much sense. Thanks for sharing it. I have tried to slow down with all the crazy amounts of baking and stuff I used to do...cut the cards way back, etc. It has been much nicer since I did that. My biggest "busy" during the season is practicing bell and choral music that I do in the groups at church but that just heightens the "spirit" for me. I hope you feel more "spirited" soon!

Andi said...

Oh my gosh! You shared my blog! I went WAY out on a limb to put that out there and share. So glad it touched you. :) Glad you wanted to share it. So nice to "meet" you. You blog is great too, and I hope you are feeling better real soon!