Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Musings of an Amateur Philosopher

I have had the feeling lately that life was moving too rapidly and that I was short of breath just trying to catch up.  We had planned a Father's Day Celebration for this evening - a bonfire with all our extended family.  This past week has been a rough one for the family, several of us have been dealing with our own specific problems - some physical, some emotional, and some financial.  I don't really think that any of us were feeling festive, so we have canceled the bonfire and decided to spend a quiet evening with just our immediate family.

My mom has been gone now for six weeks, and I'm not sure how I'm doing.  And then yesterday was my dad's birthday, and that didn't help my sadness any.  This morning, I went out to sit by the pond in an attempt to clear my head.  I looked at the pond in a different way.  Other years our pond has been home to many tall plants, Japanese iris and cattails.  This year we have smaller plants - the parrot's feather, the water hyacinth, and the little water lily.  The Japanese lilies bloomed as usual. 
I never understood why the water hyacinth was called such until yesterday when I went out and found this.  That small and simple water lily was displaying a beautiful flower.  And I came to realize that although  in this world, I am small and simple that I, too, can display my own special beauty.  

I watched the fish and noticed that some dart around the pond like they are in a road race, while others swim slowly and gracefully.  And I came to the conclusion that I want to swim gracefully, I don't want to enter the race.  I dug out my Simple Abundance book.  It always offers me comfort and hope.  And I decided that I need to start a new gratitude journal.  Nothing fancy, mind you.  Just a small journal, in which to count my blessings.  And I am reminded of one of my favorite hymns - Count Your Blessings.

                When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
                 When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
                 Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
                 And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done. 

                 Count your blessings, name them one by one,
                 Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
                 Count your blessings, name them one by one,
                 And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

                Are you ever burdened with a load of care?

                Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?                
               Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
               And you will keep singing as the days go by.


No comments: