Friday, August 2, 2013

It's Good to Be the Queen!

Yes, we are planning another trip to Walt Disney World. You're going again, some people ask. But, for me it is truly a vacation - I don't have to cook, worry about menus, or make the bed.  This trip has been planned for December, and I'm so excited.  Usually we stay at Port Orleans - French Quarter, a Mardi Gras themed resort.  It's peaceful, small, and so quiet with beautifully manicured landscaping.  But when Disney released free dining yesterday, French Quarter was not included.  So, we all decided to move our reservations to Port Orleans - Riverside.  Our travel agent, Linda Norton of The Magic for Less Travel, worked all day and emailed us updates on our status. She was such a trooper, and I can't imagine how nerve wracking it must have been for her, being on hold with Disney for 5 hours. I had requested a handicapped accessible room because of the walk-in shower.  Linda was unable to get me an accessible room in the area where the others were going to be staying.  So, she did the next best thing - she booked us into a Royal Room.  Yes, it's more expensive; but, as the queen bee, who deserves it more than I do!!!  LOL.


Anyone who knows me, knows that The Princess and the Frog is one of my favorite Disney films.  And the Royal Rooms are themed after this movie.  Just look at this room!  It truly is fit for a queen.  We will be staying in an area known as "The Mansions".   This part of the resort looks just like a Southern plantation, with magnolia trees and beautiful fountains.  And now my excitement grows.

The Christmas season is so magical at Disney.  The decorations at Magic Kingdom are beautiful.  EPCOT features the Candlelight Processional, in which the Christmas story is told by a celebrity narrator who is backed by a 50 piece orchestra and massive choir.  The first time we saw it, Stephen Curtis Chapman was the narrator.  It was cold and rainy, and I didn't really enjoy the show.  Hopefully, this year will be better and Dennis Haysbert is our scheduled narrator.  I love his deep voice, and I think he will do a bang-up job.  There are storytellers in each country, and I look forward to seeing them since our last day at EPCOT at Christmas it was like a cold monsoon had settled over the park, and our main concern was trying to keep warm and dry.  One of the best things about this trip is that we are scheduled to eat at Biergarten, the German restaurant in EPCOT.  As a German major in college, I love the food and the music.  The wait staff is generally from Germany, and I have in the past taken advantage of this opportunity to use my knowledge of the language, while enjoying the Oompah band.  We have also scheduled a fireworks cruise to view the Illuminations fireworks at EPCOT. The show has a special Christmas tag at that time of year, and I missed it the last time because I was so cold that Rod and I chose to return to our resort.  So, I'm really looking forward to this trip and now I just have to wait patiently for December.

Queen Bee, signing off.

No comments: