Monday, January 19, 2009

Pittsburgh's Going to the Super Bowl

Go Steelers!!!! Wow, what a game! And nearly 4 hours long!! But when it was over, our beloved Steelers were on top. Rod said he didn't know if he would be able to sleep last night after the game --- but he did.

Today we honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. What do you think he's thinking right now -- tomorrow our nation inaugurates its first black president. Dreams can become reality. Growing up as a child, I experienced little discrimination. We knew that blacks could come to the local pool only on certain days, and the project near us isolated the blacks onto two streets. But in school, we showered together in gym class, we ate together in the cafeteria, we enjoyed Girl Scout activities together, and attended football games together. We were allowed to be good friends, and no one questioned. I thank God that I grew up in such an environment, rather than in one where people were despised just because of the color of their skin. When we moved to Virginia in the 80's, it wasn't this way -- I was shocked by the differences, and was glad to come back home to Pennsylvania.

I finished two more blocks for my quilt, and have another nearly done. I'll take photos later today. Stay warm.

No comments: