Friday, July 24, 2009

Another Friday

It's Friday and another week has come and gone. Why does it seem that July is just flying by?? Next Friday at this time, I will be on my way to Hershey for the Quilt Odyssey. I really love this show. The sights are great -- fabric everywhere, but also it smells so heavenly. You smell chocolate everywhere you go. I almost feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, except I say "Reeses, and Hersheys and Kisses, Oh My"!!

Most of the mess in my sewing room has been cleaned up, but still no laptop pattern. However, I should find it really soon since I ordered a new one yesterday. DD Mary had asked me to make a case for her also, and since I needed to order the hardware and the foam interlining, I just ordered another pattern. Rod said it just wasn't worth the frustration and that I should just ordered a new one.

Tomorrow is Rod's company picnic and we're hoping to win another fantastic door prize. Rod had worked for this company for 4 years as a temp. The company has a policy that only direct employees are eligible for door prizes at the picnic. In 2007, Rod went direct on a Thursday (the one just before the picnic). Well, at the picnic, his name was the first drawn for door prizes and he got to pick his choice from the prize table. And that's how our 36" flat screen, HD TV came to live at our house. Last year, Rod's name was second drawn, and although the TV was still available, Rod chose a Dyson sweeper. And we love it. This year we would love to win a camcorder, but we don't want to be greedy. All the kids and grandkids are going this year, so we get to show them all off. The picnic is held at a park where there are go carts, bumper boats, and miniature golf. Some of the kids are really looking forward to the activities. I just look forward to talking with some of the other wives. We only see each other twice a year, and this year we will miss the Christmas party because of our Disney trip.

On Sunday, however, I hope to get some sewing done. I may work on some of the Disney blocks since I can't start the laptop bags yet. Last weekend we did a ham in the smoker, and it was delicious. Maybe on Sunday I'll try a pork tenderloin and do some macaroni or potato salad. Easy dinner so that I can sew. Hope your weekend is a great one.

My mom goes into the hospital on Sunday in preparation for her surgery on Monday for cancer. The Dr. says that ordinarily it's not a serious surgery, but with Mom's age and physical condition they aren't taking any chances. I hope everything goes OK. She just seems so weak, not nearly so strong as when she went into the assisted living home in April. She has arthritis so badly, and uses the wheelchair most all the time now. Her pain is almost unmanageable. Say a prayer for her if you can. Have a good weekend.

1 comment:

Pat said...

I will add your mom to my prayers. Enjoy the picnic tomorrow, too!