Monday, July 20, 2009

One of my Fav Recipes

Yesterday we had a great dinner -- ham, cheesy bacon potatoes, corn on the cob, and a cake. Haven't baked a cake for a while but this recipe is the easiest and most versatile I have. It's a pound cake recipe which I got from a dear friend who has passed.

Pound Cake
1 cake mix (I prefer Duncan Hines)
1 box instant pudding
1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
4 eggs
1 can pie filling or drained fruit

Directions: Mix all ingredients except pie filling in a large bowl. Beat with mixer until well blended. Fold pie filling or drained fruit in by hand. Put in greased and floured bundt pan. Bake at 350degrees for 45 to 55 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto plate.

The reason I haven't given flavors is because that's where the versatility comes in. My fav is a chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding and cherry pie filling. But, I have also done lemon cake mix, vanilla pudding and blueberry pie filling; spice cake mix, pumpkin spice pudding and apple pie filling; french vanilla cake mix, cheesecake pudding and strawberry pie filling. For the company picnic this Saturday, I think I'm going to try a pineapple cake mix, banana creme pudding, and drained crushed pineapple. And the best part is that you don't have to ice it because it is so moist. But, if you absolutely love icing --- have a go at it!! Any new ideas for combinations from you would be appreciated. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Mary said...

It is the best-est cake in the whole world! And you're the best-est mom for making it yesterday!