Monday, January 17, 2011

Let's Try This Again!

I thought I was eating healthier since the first of the year.  But something happened on Friday that made me rethink my choices.  I've always heard how good oatmeal was for you -- lowers your cholesterol and all that.  I buy the reduced sugar oatmeal, and truly felt it was a good thing.  Friday morning I decided to have a bowl of that oatmeal, as I hadn't had this for a few weeks.  A couple hours after eating breakfast, I was so sleepy that I couldn't stay awake.  I slept for over an hour -- alarmed when I woke up that that time had passed while two of the grandkids were in my charge.  I knew then that big changes had to be made.


I've been receiving the Hungry Girl  newsletter for a couple of years now, and have purchased three of her cookbooks, all with good intentions.  But to be honest, I haven't used them much.  Over the weekend, I remembered that she has several recipes for what she calls "egg mugs".  I found some of those recipes and decided it might be a good swap for my normal breakfast.  This morning, I diced up about 1 ounce of low fat ham and added to a large mug sprayed with non-stick spray.  I microwaved it for 30 seconds, and then added 1/2 cup of egg substitute.  I microwaved it for another 30 seconds, stirred it gently and microwaved for another 30 seconds.  Then I added one slice of fat-free american cheese and microwaved for 15 seconds.  I took the mug out, stirred it gently, and left it sit while I poured my diet cranberry juice.   After waiting for a minute or two, I dug in.  It was amazingly delicious -- and took almost no time at all.  I think I'm hooked.  There are so many variations.  Just think, add low fat (or meatless) sausage, some diced red pepper, and some cheese and you have a breadless breakfast burrito.  Now hopefully, I won't fall asleep today since I'm not loaded down with carbs.  More changes are on the way, stay tuned.

1 comment:

JustCindy said...

Please take care of you.