Monday, April 23, 2012

Please Apologize

Will the individual or individuals who made Mother Nature angry please apologize??!!!  Friday was a beautiful day, the sun was shining, the birds were singing, and the temperature was 80 degrees.  And then, someone angered Mother Nature.  Saturday was cold and rainy, and today they are calling for 4-6 inches of snow.  People, it's April 23!!  Heavy snowfall amounts don't belong on this date.

Much to everyone's surprise, I went grocery shopping on Saturday morning.  I know, it's a shock.  I just needed to go, and Rod has been getting groceries for weeks now.  And so, I put on my big girl panties and ventured out in the cold rain.  Probably shouldn't have, because $340 later I returned home with bags and bags of groceries that needed to be put away.  And unlike Mother Hubbard's, my cupboards weren't quite bare, so finding room for everything was a challenge.  As much as I love seeing the freezer and the cupboards bulging with food, it makes my life so much more difficult.  There are so many meal choices, and I have a terrible time deciding what to make.  You know that I'm a list-maker, and true to fashion, I keep a list of meal possibilities on my phone.  And to avoid losing recipes that I think look good, I pin them on Pinterest.  How did I ever get along without this phone???  Today is cold, rainy, and very gloomy so I've put aside my list and elected to make French Onion Soup. I bought a huge bag of shredded mozzarella cheese and some Vidalia onions, so French Onion Soup seems like a great choice.  I make my Onion Soup with chicken broth rather then with beef broth.  It's milder and the recipe is so simple.  Diced onions (I prefer them to sliced) sauteed in butter.  Flour added to make a roux and then the chicken broth and a couple of splashes of Worcestershire sauce.  And I have some old bread that will make wonderful croutons.  Mmmm, my tummy feels warmer just thinking about it.

Stay warm.

2 comments:

JustCindy said...

Sorry to hear you are having dreary weather. Go sew!

Nani said...

Oh my, that soup sounds simple and wonderful! I bet I'd like it better with chicken broth too. But a great food for the snow, huh?

While I'm sad that the nasty white stuff, IN APRIL, hit so many of my blog friends, I am glad it skipped Ohio! (knocks on wood)

Keep warm!