Monday, May 20, 2013

Aglets And an Edge Foot

Are you curious as to what I'm doing with an edge foot and aglets?? Do you know what an aglet is??  I didn't until our 2011 trip to Walt Disney World.  We were at Hollywood Studios waiting to meet Phineas and Ferb when the cast member asked if anyone knew what the little plastic tip on a shoelace was called.  Krissy raised her hand immediately, gave the right answer, and was given a place in the show with Phineas and Ferb for her knowledge.  The little plastic tip is indeed called an aglet!

If you haven't guessed by now, I'm making shoelaces.  About a year ago I pinned the directions for making shoelaces.  Six months ago, I cut several pair and put them in a plastic box,  Over the weekend, Rod picked up located the box, and this morning I ironed several pair of shoelaces.  The first pair I attempted to sew didn't look so great, and then I discovered that I have an "edge foot" for my Janome machine.  I didn't think I could love this machine any more than I do, but the edge foot was an exciting discovery.  Sewing the laces was a cinch with that foot.  As you can see from the photo, I chose several bright fabrics.  I've decided to give my "gourmet" shoelaces some summer-y names:  Lemon-shake, cotton candy, orange sherbet, cherry chocolate chunk, tutti-frutti, chocolate sprinkles, and more.  Tonight I will attempt to make the aglets, using a heat gun. I've never used a heat gun before, so say a quick prayer for the safety of my upper appendages.  Will post more pictures when they're complete.

No comments: