Monday, July 2, 2012

Farmer's Market Quilt

It's a good thing that I finished my Farmer's Market quilt because it may be all the veggies we  get from the garden this year.  It has been so hot (in the 90's) and although they have called for rain, most of it has gone south of us.  We planted both green and wax beans - something has chewed them off at the ground.  We planted Brussel sprouts - also chopped off.  Strawberries have produced not one single berry, a big change from last year when Rod and Izzy picked a cereal bowl full nearly every day. The tomatoes, for some strange reason, look great.  And, we did manage to get a couple of meals from the peas.  This year we seem to be overrun with bunnies.  We used to have a neighbor with a jack russell terrier, a really fat terrier that daughter Pat called "Sausage Dog".  Seemed that dog was always in our yard.  But the neighbor moved away over the winter and so we see no more fat dog.  Maybe the dog was keeping the bunnies in check or at least away from the garden boxes.  My Granny used to tell us to sprinkle moth balls around the vegetable garden.  I don't know if it works, but I'm about to give it a try.  With how dry it's been, Rod has been watering the garden nearly every night.  That means increased water and sewage bills; and, since there's little hope for anything to grow at this point, I'm not sure it's worth it.  But at least I have my Farmer's Market Quilt.  And I finally have posted the photo that I promised you.  Stay cool.

1 comment:

JustCindy said...

I'm sorry to hear your garden has not done well. Fresh veggies are so good. I love your Farmer's Market quilt. Stay cool.