Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Thank the Lord for Song Birds

Last week I could feel my body and mind beginning to sink into depression.  I wasn't quite sure why, but I didn't want to eat.  I was crying, I was sleeping too much.  I didn't want to leave the house.  I didn't seem to have any get-up-and-go.  I had so much that I needed to do, and yet I couldn't seem to get started.

There is a little songbird that used to sit in the top of the big maple tree in the yard and just sing his heart out.  When we had to cut the tree down, he moved to the top of the shed.  I love his song.  It's just so happy and beautiful.  During the winter months, I really miss that song.  Yesterday morning, when I went into the bathroom, he was sitting on the back of one of the chairs on the deck and was singing.  I felt like he was just singing to me.  This morning, he was sitting on the bird feeder just outside the front window singing.  The sun is shining, the sky is blue, and my bird is singing once again.  Could it be that Phil was right?  Could it be that spring is just around the corner?  I'm not going to get my hopes up too high, but today is good.  It may be chilly outside, but looking out the window it seems warm.  I don't have the entire day to play with my new machine, so I'll save that for the weekend.  But right now, I'm headed to the sewing room to cut some new blocks -- one for the brown bag swap and one for the Henrietta Whiskers quilt.  And if there's time, I may buttonhole a couple of blocks for other quilts or maybe put the borders on the John Deere quilt.

But I'm feeling better, feeling like I'm back to the world again.  And all I can say is, Thank the Lord for song birds!!

Valentine's Day Update: When Rod came home from work last night, he asked me to hold out my hand.  And he put a small gift in it.  It was a new Disney pin -- Lumpy the Heffalump from Winnie the Pooh.  I love Lumpy, and had looked for a pin when we were in Disney.  Couldn't find one.  I was so excited last night about this "little" gift.  Just goes to prove that good things do come in small packages!  Big Thanks to Rod and to Mary, his partner in crime.

1 comment:

Pat said...

I hope your little bird is right and spring is nearly here. I think we are ALL more than ready for spring this year!!!