Monday, October 22, 2012

Happy, Happy Monday

Nuthatch
Today is off to a great start.  We removed the air conditioner from the living room window last week, and yesterday Rod filled the bird feeder which hangs just outside the window.  One of my greatest pleasures in life is to watch the birds.  And this morning, they all seem to realize that the feeder is filled once again.  Surprisingly enough, they are willing to wait their turn at the feeder.  The deck railing is off to the side of the area where the feeder is, and they line up on the railing to await their turn.  I have such well behaved birds!!  This was one of the first visitors this morning.  It is a nuthatch, and it can walk vertically and hang upside down.


tufted titmouse


Another familiar visitor is the tufted titmouse.  There is always more than one, but I don't know what the plural is (is it mice or mouses??).  They are such sweet looking little birds, that I think they must be the sweethearts of the bird feeder.






dark eyed junco
One of my favorite little birds is the dark eyed junco.  He is a chubby little bird, and I just love the black and white coloring.  He is one of the birds that will brave the worst of snowstorms to eat from the feeder. We also have cardinals, always in pairs.  I think we have probably at least 3 pair.  There are always tree sparrows, who are not really impressive appearance-wise, but have the most beautiful song.





red bellied woodpecker

 This morning I was surprised to see a red-headed woodpecker at the feeder.  I hear them in the morning in the trees across the road, but until today have never seen one at the feeder.  And although I often see woodpeckers around here, I have never seen one with the striped wings.  I googled it, and learned that it is a red bellied woodpecker, not a red headed woodpecker.  And everything was going peacefully well, that is, until the huge blue jay showed up.  They are the most arrogant birds, they truly believe that the feeder is their alone, and will chase all the others away.  And that's exactly what he did.  He perched on the top of the hook, screeched in the window at me, chased all the other birdies away, and threw seed all over the ground.  And, now he's gone and so are all the other birds, so I guess I'll get my breakfast and proceed to the sewing room (which will be tomorrow's story).

No comments: