Monday, October 15, 2012

Monday, again

It's Monday again, but I'm not complaining.  While in Florida, my legs swelled terribly and I ended up with a watery blister which broke and left an open sore.  I've been spending most of my time with my legs up, and finally it stopped seeping.  Sunday was the first time I've been out since we came home.  And the leg finally looks like it's healing.  Yesterday was my birthday, and it was a beautiful day.  The day was sunny and warm not at all like the weather we've been having.  We decided to try doing a pork loin with an apricot mustard glaze on our rotisserie for dinner. I rode with Rod to Costco to pick it up, along with some other groceries.  I stayed in the car.  When the twins arrived in the afternoon, the prepared a pan of potatoes to put on the grill, and worked with Rod to put the pork onto the rotisserie.  Mary arrived with a casserole of baked corn (one of my favorites), and Kristin brought a cake, a pumpkin apple pecan spice cake which was shaped like a pumpkin.  Dinner was delicious, and I felt like a queen.
 Until it was time for my Mom to leave, that is.  I love her dearly, and realize that she is old.  But a few years ago, she surprised me with the comment that she believes that my birthday is also her birthday because, after all, she birthed me.  It left me speechless.  Really, your birthday too!  I get one special day a year, and she has to turn the attention to her.  Last night as she was preparing to leave, she kissed me and said ,"Happy Birthday to us."  "To us?" I asked.  "Well, after all it is MY birthday too," she replied.  I simply told her that I thought it was time for her to leave.  I realize that this shouldn't bother me so much, but it does.  Moving on...
As I said earlier, the day was beautiful.  Since we had lows last week in the 30's, we had taken out the air conditioners.  But with a high yesterday in the 70's, the house warmed quickly.  And we opened the windows.  It was wonderful to feel the summer-like breeze coming in through the windows.  The windows were open all night long, and this morning the house smells so fresh.  I understand that the temps are going to drop again, but it was a welcome bit of summer.    Time marches on, and I need to kick it into high gear and start doing some sewing again.  Sew much to do with sew little time.  Have a great week.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Sorry your mom tries to rain on your parade on your b'day. Maybe she thinks of it this way: She is proud of you and knows you are a special person, so she wants to make sure everyone knows SHE is the one who gave birth to you. I'm glad the rest of your day was nice, though. Keep an eye on the sore you have and if it doesn't heal, see a doctor about it. I'm sure you are aware that people with diabetes sometimes need medical assistance with wound-care. (My daughter works at a wound-care center and she tells me a lot about that.) AND....as you said..you need to get busy. Christmas is fast approaching!!!