Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Happy Accidents

I used to watch a painter on PBS named Bob Ross. He always said that we don't make mistakes, we have "happy accidents". I guess that's what sort of happened to me yesterday. I've been working on an applique quilt about "Old McDonald" . He's in the center block along with the first line of the song. Top and bottom blocks of "Old McDonald" were simple blocks with "E-I-E-I-O" appliqued on them. On either side were four appliqued farm animals. Been working on it for a couple of weeks now. Finally yesterday I was able to start putting it together. All the blocks are flannel, and I found an adorable baby animal flannel to use for the sashing. So yesterday, I started putting the blocks together and discovered that my top and bottom center blocks had been cut at 22" instead of 15-1/2". When I went to cut them to proper size, I cut off the first and last letters. I was so frustrated, and just didn't have the patience to start over with the fused letters and new fabrics. So, I cut two blocks of the baby animal prints and put side borders on these blocks with the background color. I really think I like it better than when I had the E-I-E-I-O blocks there. I still have one side to sew on and will post a photo next week. It could have been a real disaster, but instead ended up being a "happy accident". Hoping any accidents you have today are happy ones. Linda

No comments: