Friday, March 14, 2008

TGIF




Thank goodness it's Friday. It's been a long week, and I'm really looking forward to the sewing weekend that Pat Sloan is planning for those who follow her blog. However, since there's been a death in my family (which also happened just before the sewing weekend in September), I don't know how much sewing time I'll actually have. I'm hoping to finish up a log cabin quilt which I'm making with lt.blue/dk blue bandana fabrics. It's for a Saddle Up Trail Ride to benefit St. Jude's Children's research hospital in Memphis TN.





Each year I make and donate at least six quilts for our local Saddle Up Trail Ride. These are photos of the quilt tent from last year's ride, and a group of riders at the covered bridge in one of our local parks. I generally have donations from quilter friends , but this year have had no "givers". I think it must be the economy. My neighbor (and DD Kristin's FIL) sponsors our local ride, and we usually have over 100 riders and raise over $20,000 for St. Jude's research. The quilt auction raises only a small portion of that money, but every little bit helps. So far I have a cowboy boot applique quilt (my own design) and a jar quilt ready for quilting, and have several other quilts in the works. The Saddle Up is held the first Saturday in May, and is a family event for us. My twins (age 28) are right hand ladies to the coordinator and ride. DD Mary is on the registration and accounting committees, DD Kristin also helps out with registration. And DH Rod and both SIL's work traffic control. The Texas Roadhouse caters a BBQ for those riders who raise $50 or more. The day starts at 9:00 when registration. The ride leaves at 1:00 pm and riders are usually back by 4:00 pm. At this time, the BBQ is served and then door prizes are awarded. It's a fun day. For more information see their website at http://skylinesaddleup.tripod.com
How will you celebrate National Quilting Day? Will you make a charity quilt or a special project for you? Whatever you choose to do this weekend, I hope it's a good one for you.








No comments: