Monday, June 9, 2008

Monday, Monday

Another weekend has come and gone, and I did manage to get the pillowcases for the swap I'm in finished. The fabric came on Saturday, and I did the cases yesterday. Of course, something that should have been really simple gave me fits. The pattern everyone is using called for the hem on the cuff to be topstitched. Now, I love topstitching, but I'd rather hand stitch a hem than to have to top stitch it. It just isn't easy for me. So after tearing the hem out three times, I finally got it right. I ironed them really well just like my mom taught me to do as a kid. My sister and I learned to iron by doing hankies and pillowcases. Only when they were perfect, were we allowed to move on to shirts, etc. I think ironing is a lost art. One of my fondest memories is of my granny standing at the ironing board in her housedress and apron, humming as she ironed all my dad's workshirts. She was a champion ironer. I don't do bad when I have to. However, my kids would rather buy something new than to have to iron. I think it's the whole working mother thing. They barely have time for things in life that are really important, let alone ironing. And certainly with today's economy, a double income is a necessity not a luxury. So, today I move onto finishing a charm tote for my niece, and then I have to make two for her sisters. I love this bag. And it uses up a lot of small pieces from my stash. Keep cool. Linda

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I Love to iron....I turn on the radio and sing at the top of my lungs (with windows closed and family gone,lol). Nothing smells better than fresh steam!!